Frequently Asked Questions

 Q: What does ABC mean?

A:  Alcoholic Beverage Control

Q:  What are acceptable forms of identification?

A:  It is the responsibility of the customer to prove they are 21 years of age.  The following are acceptable forms of ID: 

  • Valid driver%99s license.
  • Valid North Carolina State Identification Card (no other state is acceptable).
  •  Valid passport
  •  Valid U.S. Military ID

Q:  What are acceptable forms of payment?

A:  We accept cash, Visa, MasterCard and American Express. We also accept debit cards associated with MasterCard and Visa.

Q:  Is the price of liquor the same at all ABC stores?

A:  Yes. The retail price of spirituous liquor sold in North Carolina shall be uniform throughout the state.  There are monthly discounts on selected items.  Periodically we discontinue brands and offer these items at discounted prices.

Q:  May I return or exchange a product?

A:  No, the Johnston County ABC Board policy offers no returns, exchanges, or refunds once the product has left the store, unless it is tainted or spoiled.  In this case, we will accept the nearly full container and provide you with a replacement.

Q:  Can spirituous liquor be sold in grocery stores and other food marts?

A:  In North Carolina, spirituous liquor may be sold only in local ABC stores operated by the local ABC Board.

Q:  What if you don%99t stock a product I would like to purchase?

A:  If the product is listed in the North Carolina Price Book and you feel you will purchase it on a regular basis, then we will consider stocking the product on our shelves.  If it is not in the Price Book we can special order an item for you.  Special orders come by the case only and must be paid prior to ordering.  You can expect 6-8 weeks for delivery, depending on the product and its place of origin.

Q:  How much liquor can I purchase?

A:  In accordance with North Carolina ABC laws, a customer may only purchase up to eight (8)liters of alcohol (distilled spirits) from our stores without a transportation permit.  With a transportation permit, the customer may purchase up to forty (40) liters of alcohol and subsequently transport their purchase within the State of North Carolina.  A transportation permit is free of charge at the store and is valid until 9:30pm on the date it is issued.

Q:  How do I apply for a permit?

A:  All permits are issued by the North Carolina ABC Commission in Raleigh.  No permits of any kind are issued by the local ABC Board.  For more information, visit the permits page included in the North Carolina ABC Commission website.

Q:  Are ABC employees state or county employees?

A:  Neither! Johnston County ABC employees are employed by the Johnston County ABC Board which is part of the Local Goverment System.  The stores are self-supporting and no tax money is used to pay employees or other expenses to operate ABC stores.